Saturday, June 21, 2008

DANCING RAISINS

You can go ahead and blame it on the sweet combination of a barrage of reality dance shows and my overwhelming boredom, being stuck in my parents' house before my pending move to the Windy City (and adulthood), but I am straight up on the dance train. Mostly, I've been listening to a lot of Róisín Murphy... and subsequently experimenting with ways to butcher her name (see title of post).



It's possible that she really struck her widespread success with the zombie'rific "Rama Lama Bang Bang" number choregaphed for 'So You Think You Can Dance's second season (shown above), but I think a better show of her ability is with "Sow Into You."

"Sow Into You" (
Róisín Murphy)

I also really like Murphy because she's able to separate her solo work from the stuff she does with her band, Moloko. Way too often - *ahem* Emily Haines/Metric and, to some degree, Thom Yorke/Radiohead - band singers do solo attempts that are way too reminiscent of the band's sound. The nice thing about Murphy and Moloko is that the sound is different, but the connection is still audible (meaning, you can still get a good SYTYCD solo out of it)

"The Time Is Now" (Moloko)


No comments: