Sunday, April 6, 2008

FIREWORKS ON LAKE MICHIGAN

Y'know, when I heard the first track that was by [Insert name of well-established rapper here] featuring Chris Martin, I got kind of annoyed. After all of the hullabaloo Martin made about NEVER veering from his band mates in order to do a collabo. with another artist, it seem kind of tired that someone who seemed to be such a genuine artist had proven himself to be a hypocrite. At least three such collaborations later, I'm finding that I don't care. Not if I get songs like Kanye West's "Homecoming."

Now, obviously the song is already pretty well-established, but I suppose it has an additional personal meaning to me: it's all about Chicago, where - in three months time - I'll be starting my new college-grad life. That being said, the recently released video for "Homecoming" is not only one of my more favorite videos from Kanye's arsenal (it helps that there are no over-the-top churches/Evil Knievel/bodies in car trunks/R&B superstars), but it's also a nice little tour for me to get acquainted to the city that I will soon be calling home. Apparently, I need to get a flatbed 18-wheeler.






"Homecoming" (Kanye West feat. Chris Martin)

No comments: