Tuesday, April 29, 2008

LILY AND WINO CAN BOTH SOD OFF!

I like the idea of a spitfire-cockney lass Brit singer/songwriter, but I sure as hell don't feel like dealing with any of the illicit drug tapes/imprisoned husbands/clothing lines/erratic mudslinging/tabloid fodder/and career-in-crisis peroxide hair bleaching. Enter: Adele.

A few posts ago, I talked about Kate Nash and I think, in some ways, Adele trumps Nash. She still manages to sing with an accent - something that the anglophile in me LOVES about the new musical genre of these London tarts - and still gets in a curse word here or there - again, what's not to like?! - but she manages to do it with class and feeling. While many of these artists have a way of singing whimsically, I can actually take her songs seriously. And, apparently, Kanye loves her too...?

As much as I want to talk about her album as a whole, I honestly can't stop listening to "Hometown Glory" long enough to get in enough plays of the other songs (though I will say that there are several good remixes of "Chasing Pavements" out there). From the appropriately long piano intro, which only gets you revved for her voice... to the way she stretches out the word "hometown" in the chorus... to her 'fuck you' attitude during the bridge... the song has fairly earned its place on my "The Shit" playlist (no small feat).




"Hometown Glory" (Adele)
"Hometown Glory - Night Facilities remix" (Adele)

No comments: