Tuesday, April 8, 2008

PULL UP THE COVERS... [PART DEUX]

So, spring is upon us, and as a lass on her way to getting her BS (pretty much in BS) in May, the spring holds one main value: get as much last-minute social interaction with this campus as humanly possible. That's why I became pleased as punch when I found out that, this year, our spring concert will be Grizzly Bear and the National (between this and the VW post, it shouldn't be hard to piece together my soon-to-be alma mater). Now, it's no Spring Weekend at Brown - but, as someone who is still listening to Boxer, you'll hear no complaints from me.

I like Grizzly Bear well enough, but it's really Daniel Rossen that gets me to listen to the group. The minute I heard his cover of Jojo's (yes, that Jojo) "Too Little Too Late," I was hooked. If I didn't have it plainly written before me that the song is, in fact, a Jojo cover, I'd never believe it. Too often a pop cover can turn into yet another acoustic "Umbrella" or "Toxic," but when it's done right - when it's done like this - you can actually separate the song from its genre and listen to the artist putting his new spin on it.

**note I refrained from the obvious "It's not 'Too Little Too Late'" pun...



"Too Little Too Late" (Grizzly Bear's Daniel Rossen)



1 comment:

mimi said...

Have you checked out daniel rossen's other project, Department of Eagles? I also love "Deep Blue Sea." I think it may have been released on the Friend EP.